Tuesday 2 June 2015

Betty Cockus

This month at The East Wind is drag queen month. Unky came up with this wonderful character, Betty Cockus, because she loves drag queens and really it couldn't be at a better time because it is LGBT Pride Month, at least it is in the States. Check out the official proclamation by President Barack Obama HERE

Today's new release is Betty Cockus "Call Me Maybe"

This is my first attempt at a lot of things. Art journaling, gelatos, stamping with my gelatos, using sprays... I think that's it. I coloured Betty with Copics. I used Faber Castell gelatos for the background. I just scribbled them on, smoothed them out and used a little water to loosen them up a bit. I kept at it until it looked right, and then I used a rubber stamp of a hummingbird spritzed with water and red gelato to do the stamps. Then I used a polka dot stencil and sprayed over that with a Lindy's Stamp Gang spray from the Mermaid Shells pack. 

I sat for awhile looking at her and the page and trying to figure out how to tie it all together, and then a song by Scissor Sisters came into my head, "Let's Have a Kiki". It starts out with an answering machine picking up, and if you listen to the rest of the song you might see how it all came together for me from there. I wrote the lyrics to the first verse in white gel pen, which doesn't work so well over gelato, but that's okay, because I didn't want them to jump off the page at you. Here's the video for your entertainment:


Make sure you check out the blog and the Facebook page for challenges, including challenges on Instagram. You can follow me on Instagram (@myndifraser) for updates.

Thanks for stopping by and having a look! And remember: "All people deserve to live with dignity and respect, free from fear and violence, and protected against discrimination, regardless of their gender identity or sexual orientation." Barack Obama, Presidential Proclamation - LGBT Pride Month

1 comment:

  1. Wow Myndi, she is just so beautiful, Such a fabulous image and love the background colours.

    Hugs Anna xx

    ReplyDelete