Saturday 21 March 2015

Make It Krafty at The East Wind

We have a new challenge in The East Wind's Facebook group and the theme is "Make It Krafty" by colouring on kraft paper. I have never coloured on kraft paper before, so this was a challenge for me too. I had no idea how I was going to colour her skin. I had to do some Googling and some practicing because I colored with Prismacolor pencils this time, a huge jump from my normal Copics, and totally out of my comfort zone. I've signed up for the Perfecting Pencils class on Kit and Clowder, but haven't had time to do any lessons yet. I really wish I had completed a lesson or two before tackling this! I definitely have some motivation to get in the classroom now, because I really liked this project and the look of stamping an image on kraft. 

The East Wind image I've used is Aurora'Maple'. I have been wanting to colour this image for the longest time and I thought it went perfectly with the kraft challenge.



I stamped a Heidi Swapp wood grain stamp with pigment ink on kraft paper and heat embossed it with Aged Gold Frantage. I tied brown raffia around that. I used By DIEzyne stitched bracket dies to cut out my image and mounted it on red paper. I mounted that on the gold embossed kraft. I wish I could tell you all the pencil colours I used, but it was a lot of layering and adding a colour here and there. It was not as straightforward as colouring with Copics. 

I hope you like my first attempt at colouring on kraft and only my second time ever colouring an entire image with pencils. It was definitely a step out of my comfort zone!

Make sure you check out our group on Facebook and the blog! The blog has two challenges every month, in addition to the Facebook challenge, so there are a lot of opportunities to participate and win! And sign up for the newsletter (look for the bright pink box at the top of the page)!! The free image from Unky for April is SO beautiful!! You're going to be kicking yourself if you don't get her. And one of the challenges on the blog is to colour up the freebie, so GO SIGN UP!! And while you're there check out the new DT page! It's been updated and you can find out a little about myself and all our other fabulous designers! 


Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. beautiful. and only your second pencil image. WOW... you have a falir for pencils i think my dear... I love the gold embossed wood in the background. really add a special touch to the piece.. well I'm off to go purchase this image now! methinks I might have a go at this being my third or fourth pencil piece.. LOL... I may do a lesson first!! ;)

    ReplyDelete